<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sup-rbeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't count on it...and I don't consider a team great until they bring home a state championship...district and region d crowns are nice lil accomplishments...but the ultimate goal is a state crown...that is the qualifier for a great team. </div></div>
The only thing that has prevented Haysi from having multiple state titles has been the VHSL's disproportionate and unfair grouping system. There have been several years when Haysi has had the best football team in the state of any school with an enrollment under 400. Problem is they've played Region C schools with twice their enrollment in the state playoffs. My senior year we finished the season ranked 3rd in the state while the top two ranked schools had recently dropped down from AA with close to 600 enrollment and us barely over 300. I agree that it takes a state title to call a team great but defining greatness is tricky with the VHSL's "FUBAR'd" system. It's easy to say Appy had some great teams in the past coz they won division 1 championships. Haysi(along with Clintwood and a few others) though have been a little less fortunate due to what borders on open discrimination by the league in which they play. Haysi, Clintwood, Burton and Appy are much closer in size than say Haysi, GC, Giles and Lebanon. I'm happy that it is at least fixed for Haysi now but still not happy that Clintwood and possibly Castlewood will still be getting screwed. If they are going to keep going with this messed up alignment they might as well throw out all divisions and just have one state champion in the entire state. Let's see how many state championships PV, GC or even Richlands would win against say Hampton Roads, Phoebus, TC Williams or whoever?
Greatness is relative. I doubt PV would have many if any teams people would call great if they would've had to face the same odds as Haysi to win their titles. They would've had to have beaten the best team in the state with at least twice their enrollment in all of those years(1000 & under). They've never had to do that yet. I'm not sure that any school has ever done that? Be interesting to research that.



Bookmarks